Welcome!

Welcome! This is a work in progress. This site has been dormant since 2009, and is now being revived. Please keep checking back to see what is new. Thank you. ~ Kathy M. ~ July 10, 2015

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Introduction:

 

Welcome to Comfort and Joy Childcare! 

The purpose of this website is to share the ins-and -outs of setting up your own preschool or small childcare center, and then information on running the program itself.  I'm no expert, but perhaps you will find a few things new to you on here.  This blog is a work in progress, and I will be filling in the blanks as I have time.

I have years of education and training in Early Childhood Education, and years of hands on experience also. My high school had a model childcare program, where for two years we worked in our own center and also went out to do practicum work at community sites.  The community college that I attended also had a model program for training teachers in two different teaching centers.  I have worked in several summer preschool programs. One of the most rewarding programs I was involved with was affiliated with Pearl Buck Center in Eugene. Our preschool was for children born to developmentally disabled parents.

I have run three daycares out of my home over the years. When I was living in Walterville, Oregon, I ran a successful family childcare named Comfort and Joy, out of our home for two-and-a-half years. I still had children at home, so it gave me a great way to be involved with the community and spend time with my family. I loved it, and we all had a great time. The bottom half of this site has pictures of some of those in our group.  

I graduated from Oregon State University a few years ago, with my B.S. Human Development and Family Sciences, majoring in Early Childhood Education. My minor is in Human Services.  My practicum work included two terms at Head Start (as a teacher and as a family advocate), one term at the Mountain Star Relief Nursery, and one term in a local elementary school kindergarten.

After graduation, I worked at Head Start for one school year as an assistant teacher. That experience taught me so much about running a program and working with others.  I took a leave of absence from the field of Early Childhood Education for 8 years, as I worked with my husband at our family business.

I most recently taught preschool in Central Oregon. I began this blog to share my thoughts and ideas as I got back into the teaching groove.  I will be posting my experiences with you on here, and also provide links to other sites. The easiest way to use this blog is to either scroll down, or look on the sidebar for areas that interest you.  Instead of new posts beginning at the top, I have made each heading it's own page and will be adding to them all as time permits.

Please keep checking back for new entries as I get this site set up. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions.  It is still a blog, therefore, I work for comments!

Kathy Matthews:
oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy@hotmail.com



Protected by Copyscape Originality Check

2 comments:

Tuscola Today- Alysia and Syndee said...

I see you started this in 2009, if you plan to fill it all in I would be very interested in all you information. You sound like you'd make a great mentor with all your education and experience.

SmartCric live said...

Live cricket matches of Pakistan, India, England, South Africa, Australia, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, West Indies, Sri Lanka are available on different sports channels including Star Sports, Hotstar, SonySix, Ten Sports, Ten Cricket, Ptv Sports, Sky Sports and many more.
SmartCric Live Online Cricket Match